Squirrels are furry rodents that often drill holes in trees or build nests securely between branches. However, they may seek shelter in your home to find warmth during winter and fall, especially if the trees next to your home are not maintained as they can act as staircases to your attic. Also, if you have bird feeders in your home, they can attract squirrels even from miles away.
The Dangers of Squirrels in Your Home
Besides being a total nuisance, squirrels can cause damage when:
- They chew through the roof’s timber, wooden beams, and underneath eaves which can destroy your home’s structural integrity
- They can bite and damage chimneys, vents, wires, and insulation, which can cause electrical hazards and fires
- While scavenging for food, they can destroy your landscaping and gardens
- In large quantities, their urine and droppings can pose risks of salmonella infections and leptospirosis.
How to Remove Squirrels From Your Home
Once you notice signs of squirrel infestation, you should:
- Seal off their entry point – Inspect your home to determine how they are getting in and seal off these routes. However, you should leave one exit hole with an exclusion device that prevents the animal from moving back in.
- Drive them out of their hiding – You can use cider vinegar, play loud music, or light up the animal’s hideout to get them to leave.
- Trap and relocate them – Catch the squirrels using squirrel-traps or proper baits like nuts, sunflower seeds, or peanut butter. Once trapped, take them at least 5 miles away from your home.
- Exclusion – Trapping and relocating squirrels is just half the job. You need to seal off any other entry route to prevent other squirrels from moving in.
Remove Squirrels Professionally
Dealing with a squirrel infestation is overwhelming, but the experts at Critter Control of Waco can work with you to resolve your animal problems quickly and effectively. We will not only use humane removal techniques, but seal your home and advise you on how to prevent a re-infestation. Call us at (469) 805-6267 today to get a free, non-obligatory quote.